1. The host hereby agrees to provide the participant with a clean, warm and tidy room with a window. Basic furniture should include a bed, closet, desk (or access to one in the house) chair and the room should be well lit. Bed sheets are to be changed bi-weekly. There should not be more than one participant per room and there should not be other participants of the same nationality residing in the same household.
2. The Homestay host agrees to provide breakfast every day and dinner every day and to have some snack like fruit available for in between meal times. Dinner must be a well balanced meal, generally consisting of meat, vegetables, potatoes, rice. Fast food dinners such as pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs etc. are acceptable on an occasional basis. Dinner should generally be a sit down meal, or as your family generally eats. Participants usually grab their own breakfast in the morning. In the evening if no-one is going to be home, if there is something they can heat up and eat is no problem. Participants should help with cleaning up and on occasion may want to help in the kitchen as well, just like any family member may.
3. The Homestay family hereby agrees to treat the participants with respect and tolerance and consistently provide all aspects of hospitality. If improper physical advances towards a participant occur, the participant will be removed from the home and legal action taken. No member of the household should abuse alcohol or drugs.
4. The family must speak English when the participant is present and provide each participant with a key to the house.
5. On or before the first day of courses, it is asked that the host show the participant how to use public transit in the area to get to the city, internship, school or Internex office.
6. We ask that the host give the participant some information about local places of interest and include the participant in the host’s activities for the duration of the participant’s stay.
7. The host may either do their participants’ laundry or make laundry facilities available to them.
8. Internex or the host family does not assume any responsibilities for any injuries suffered by the participant while in the host’s care. However, obviously please assist and ensure the participant becomes ill or injured and need medical attention. All international participants have medical insurance on our programs and they will have a copy of this insurance with them. Please contact Internex as soon as possible.
9. We do try to keep homestay families full, however we cannot always guarantee we have people available. Please notify us if you would like another homestay person or if you would like to take a break for a while.
10. Please inform the participant about how the household functions work and where items are in the kitchen, bedroom, laundry and other areas in the home. It is a good idea to explain the dynamics of the household in order to avoid problems, e.g. if it is ok or not ok to have friends over / partners over to stay / tinder dates collecting them from the house etc. Please be clear and make sure your participant is aware of the rules and regulations of your household so there are less possible issues later on.
11. Please be tolerant of the participant’s foreign customs and habits.
12. We cannot guarantee the participant will stay for their full duration of their homestay. They may want to get a flat or share house accommodation with friends. However, they must give two weeks notice to Internex and to you, if they want to move out. Please Notify Internex if a participant moves out of your home.
13. If Internex finds the placement unsuitable (not meeting these terms and conditions) we may choose to remove the candidate without further notice. In this case the family is obliged to pay back the remaining Homestay fee.
14. If the participant is accompanying the Homestay family on holiday then accommodations and food should still be provided, and if not, then alternative and similar homestay arrangements made for the participant with Internex approval
15. It is important for all Homestay families who wish to participate in our program understand that Internex programs are typically more complex and involving than with typical language courses. Some candidates may become anxious as to the status of their internship or work experience placement. Some families, in an effort to assist their student occasionally and inadvertently provide the candidate with over-optimistic or misleading information about this process and positions available and this causes even more issues. It is of vital importance that well-meaning homestay families allow Internex program participants the ability to contact us directly to assist them with any concerns or questions they may have. If a host family has concerns about the candidates’ placement, it is key that the family not raise these concerns with the candidate, but rather have the candidate contact Internex to express these concerns. These concerns will then be addressed.
16. If you have any problems or concerns with the participant please do not hesitate to contact an INTERNeX representative.
17. Internex provides $320NZD per week for homestay. The host family is not allowed to add any additional charges to the homestay rate (excluding international telephone charges). The participant must not be asked to pay a deposit.
18. If a participant takes a holiday the Homestay family is not obliged to reduce the Homestay fee.